Day 4: It's all fun and games!

It's all fun and games!

Post a picture of your classroom. What do you see?


Since I don't have any photos of my room, I took out my phone today during class to try and secretly make some. Yeah, stupid of me. Forget about the secretly. As soon as my students saw me taking out the phone, the selfie spirit in them took over. 


Well, I guess at least it shows they feel comfortable enough in my French IB class to show off a little. I am sure that's not what the prompt was all about, but it's a cute pic, so I posted it anyway. I also did manage to get some a little after that, when they went back to work.

     They were all doing an assignment I had put on Google classroom in an attempt to reduce the paper mountain that builds up on my desk at regular intervals. I thought I would be doing them a favour, but now I am not so sure of that.
     They started the assignment on a Google doc and after 10 minutes some of them raised their hand and asked if they couldn't do it on paper. I wanted to know what was going on, so I asked them why. 
     The number one problem they had was putting in the accents. Number two was the formatting (which I may be able to do something about) and a third student said she likes to have everything on paper, because it's more real to her.  
      Out of all this I have to draw the conclusion that there is no ideal solution for everyone. I'm sure they will get use to it and it certainly makes it easier for me to track assignments. 
       And because the IB is still very old-fashioned in the way they examine (everything is written by hand), the bigger pieces my students produce will still have to be handwritten, or they won't be able to write for long periods  of time during the exams. 
      Paper or Electronic, I will have to find a happy medium to keep everyone happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: Henry Searle

Day 14: feedback

Day 29: It's all history.